In April 2019, the EURIPID collaboration established a Stakeholder Dialogue Platform for actors in the field of pharmaceutical pricing. Please find information on the activities via the health policy platform below and here.
The members of the EURIPID Collaboration are convinced that transparency is a mean by which patients’ access to medicines can be improved.
The EURIPID project is engaged in improving transparency since its start. Transparency faces the prisoner’s dilemma, namely that the more transparent countries can be worse off than the less transparent countries therefore EURIPID suggests a step wise approach in increasing transparency both in geographic and sectoral sense. In the first step the pricing information should be available for the experts of those European national competent authorities who share the same understanding on the main issues of pricing of medicinal products and who are formal members of the EURIPID Collaboration and share their pricing information in exchange to get access to the information of the others. As the next step the EURIPID Collaboration established contact to the stakeholders of the pharmaceutical sector to investigate the options for broadening the access to the information stored in the EURIPID database.
Transparency also means that the important aspects of pricing should be taken into account therefore the data content of the EURIPID database was extended to price information of non-reimbursed products and information on sales volumes and the existence of managed entry agreements.
What concrete actions are taken by EURIPID to enhance transparency?
- EURIPID participates in the discussions of the new EU Pharma Strategy to translate its knowledge and experience on pharmaceutical pricing into further concrete actions,
- EURIPID works together with the stakeholders of the pharmaceutical sector to find ways for increasing transparency in the EURIPID Stakeholder Dialogue Platform,
- EURIPID would like to work together with OECD in achieving its goals regarding transparency by policy dialogue, joint analysis and information sharing,
- EURIPID would like to work together with WHO to help the implementation of the WHA Resolution on transparency of pricing by sharing its experiences and information,
- EURIPID is in exchange with the European Medicines Agency with regard to standardisation and the Article 57 database.
The main activity of the EURIPID Collaboration is the provision of data related to the pricing of medicinal products to the experts of the national competent authorities of the participating countries. The information content includes prices of reimbursed and non-reimbursed medicinal products; sales volumes in the out-patient segment and information on the existence of managed entry agreements. The information is provided in a uniform standard structure. Price information is timely updated by the project team in line with national up-date frequencies.
Information from the EURIPID database can also be available for researchers from the academic sector in line with the procedure for data requests. (See details in Get involved/Researchers)
The EURIPID collaboration has been awarded following grants:
- Framework Partnership Agreement Number GWP 2009 – ENT/IMA/188.8.131.52.8
- HP-PJ-2018: Grant Agreement number 826652
- HP-PJ-2014: Grant Agreement number 664317
In 2019, the EURIPID collaboration established the EURIPID Stakeholder Dialogue Platform in order to establish a sustainable cross-functional cooperation on information exchange in the field of pricing of medicinal products in Europe with the stakeholders of the pharmaceutical sector and supranational organisations.
The key objectives of the Stakeholder Dialogue Platform are
- To establish a sustainable cooperation on information exchange in the field of medicinal product pricing via the discussion of opportunities and challenges of such a cooperation.
- To further enhance the current functioning of the EURIPID database.
- To monitor the implementation of the EURIPID Technical Guidance Document on external reference pricing (ERP) of medicinal products.
- To contribute in making transparent prices of medicinal products better work in practice.
- To investigate suitable methods to measure patients’ access to medicinal products in Europe by using the potential of the EURIPID database and website.
The main target group of the Dialogue Platform are the previous members of the Platform on Access to Medicines in Europe and other stakeholder organisations, particularly patient/consumer representatives, organisations like WHO and OECD, who will be invited to take part in the creation of a strategic cooperation in the field of pricing of medicinal products.
The group jointly selects the topics in the field of medicines that shall be discussed in meetings of the platform (incl. a prioritisation of these topics). The participation in the Platform is open to everybody from the target group on a strictly voluntary basis. The main intention is to have a space for open and non-binding discussions.
The following working groups were set up in the course of the first Stakeholder Dialogue Platform:
- Transparency Working Group
- EPR Monitoring Working Group
- Patients’ Access Working Group
The Stakeholder Dialogue Platform takes place once a year. If you want to obtain more information on the Stakeholder Dialogue Platform or the next meeting, please contact the EURIPID collaboration firstname.lastname@example.org.
Click here for information on previous meetings and the joint concept note and mandate.